Friday, September 16, 2011

Edwards-Franklin House, Lowgap, NC

Our last stop before going home was the Edwards-Franklin House outside of Mount Airy. It was built in 1799 by state senator Gideon Edwards and then remodeled in 1820 by his son-in-law, Meshack Franklin, who was a US Representative prior to the Civil War.

While I didn't have before pictures of the Richmond Hill house, I was able to find a before picture of this house before it was restored by the Surry County Historical Society in 1973.


And how it looks today:


And while I read on their website that the house would be open that weekend, it wasn't to my great disappointment. Oh, well, we'll go back to the mountains and try again some other weekend.

6 comments:

Anyes said...

So many historical buildings in your neck of the woods. I love how beautifully they have restored this house
See you for Sunset Sundays :-)

dinahmow said...

Now you're just teasing us. No fair!Pretty, though

Dartford Warbler said...

That looks a wonderful restoration project. I hope you get the chance to go back and look inside.

Lilli said...

Really, makes me believe that any house can be saved with the right amount of love and determination. Wonderful!

Sherry Smyth said...

That is an incredible restoration!

Karen said...

Anyes: I bet there are lots of historic buildings there in B.C. just waiting to be discovered by you.

Di: I've seen photos of the interiors of both houses and the restorations are absolutly incredible. I'll go back one day.

DW: Oh, I definitely will go back. I'd love for all my overseas blogger friends to be able to see the interiors.

Lilli: And the right amount of money spent, too. We've lost so many wonderful old buildings because Americans tend to think new is better. I'm always happy to see these saved and restored.

Sherry: It is. Now all that needs to be done is to get inside.