Sunday, March 4, 2012

Gates Pass Road, Tucson, Arizona

Our last day of our three-day mini-trip was spent in Tucson. Our plan was to go to Arizona Sonora Desert Museum and Zoo for the day. Not knowing Tucson as well as I did 30-years ago, I reserved a room at a motel on the far east side of Tucson near the Tucson Country Club. It meant the next day we would have to drive Speedway Boulevard all the way from the far east side of Tuscon through Gates Pass Road.

Gates Pass Road takes  you through Tucson Mountain Park where the landscape is that of what most people think of when they think about the Southwest's desert areas - full of saguaro and prickly pear cactus, cholla, rocks and dirt. It is also considered one of the most dangerous roads in Arizona due to its hairpin curves and lack of guardrails. Those who are familiar with the area know that Kinney Road is the best way to get to the museum. I guess I like to live dangerously . . .

Looking Back Towards the East and Tucson

Cholla, Prickly Pear Cactus and Saguaro

Somewhere in the Middle of the Picture is a Hiking Trail 

Saguaro Cactus and Prickly Pear at its Feet
It takes a saguaro cactus 75 years to grow an arm and most saguaros can live to 150 years or longer.






3 comments:

Anne said...

Stunning photos - especially of the cacti!

Diane AZ said...

Gates Pass sure is a scenic route with all those saguaros and you got some gorgeous shots!

Anyes said...

I love those Cactus shots, looking at them I wish I was a lizard ;-)
I am glad you had such a beautiful trip, Karen