Monday, March 12, 2012

Birds at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum

Diane over at Desert Colors posted some of her photos that she took at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum which spurred me to post some of my bird photos that I took the day we went to ASDM while I was in Tucson in February. It is a wonderful combination museum and zoo which would take several days to see all of it, time we didn't have.

So, a trip through the aviary and the hummingbird aviary took precedent this trip. Here are some of the birds:


A cactus wren, the largest of all the wrens in the United States. Actually he was out in the bushes, not in the aviary.




An Inca dove, a small cousin to my mourning dove. Its territory has moved up from Central America to include the Southwest US.




A not-so-good picture of a Black-chinned Hummingbird. The little point and shoot camera is not so good at taking bird pictures with its macro setting like my bridge super-zoom is.




A Curved-bill Trasher. A large songbird found in the southern most of the Southwest United States, similar in size to my Northern Mockingbird which frequents my bird feeder here in the small garden.

I'm trying to think of some good excuses to get back to Arizona and the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum sooner than a ten years span like this past trip.

4 comments:

Anyes said...

It seems this trip in Arizona yielded lots of treasures, Karen. I especially like the Inca dove. :-)

Diane AZ said...

Nice bird pictures from the Desert Museum! The Inca dove is especially cute, but I love them all. :)

Anne said...

I love the hummingbird ..... and the Incadove is cute too!

Clik said...

Hello Karen!

A beautiful post, birds and stunning scenery!

your blog is great, I'm following you, and I would love if your friendship and

presence in my blog!

....................................... Friend of Brazil??

Adriano.