Saturday, October 30, 2010

North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher, NC

I was organizing my old photos, the ones taken with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1, when I came across photos taken in February at the North Carolina State Aquarium at Fort Fisher. Most of the photos aren't very good as I didn't know how to shoot through glass without getting reflections (I was shooting with a flash. Dumb) or everything was really fuzzy. I didn't realize that the autofocus was focusing on the glass instead of the fish.

As I was coming to the end of the exhibits, I set the focus to manual (just as an experiment) and took pictures of the tropical fish. Outside of the alligators (which are native to North Carolina, believe it or not), these were the only pictures from the entire day that turned out well.

While these fish aren't native to North Carolina, they were being exhibited as part of a exhibit on the world's ecosystem and how delicate it is. Lionfish, a tropical native (which were in a neighboring tank; too dark to get any decent pictures) have established themselves off the coast and are absolutely devastating the native population of fish. Biologists believe that people bought them for their home aquariums and when the fish became too large or too aggressive, they were dumped in the ocean off the NC coast.

5 comments:

Anyes said...

I am still working on being able to get a decent aquarium shot, and yours is so clear...Thank you, Karen.
Now I just have to remember these tips, next time I go visit our aquarium ;-)

moreidlethoughts said...

The dreadful dumpers! Waterways here have problems of escapees(plants)and dumps (fish and animals).

That is a nice shot, especially as you were just experimenting. I have awful trouble (as you've seen! ;-) ) with picture glass. I wish I could find a "formula" that works every time. sigh...

Carolina said...

The more I learn about photography, the more difficult it becomes ;-) Life was far easier when I just used the 'auto'-option on my camera. Although I wouldn't have been able to make decent aquarium photos either. Question is: will I be able to make good aquarium photos using the manual settings. I've never tried.

This one is nice. Amazing coloured fish.

Karen said...

Anyes: I'm now thinking that it was sheer luck rather than good photography, but I'll get a chance to try out the new camera in February when I go back to the beach for a long weekend.

Di: I saw that documentary about the mouse plague in Australia. We humans can do a good job of screwing things up, can't we?

Carolina: So happy to see you back! But isn't that the nice thing about digital camera? We can take a bazillion pictures without worrying about the cost.

Carolyn said...

Karen! Your work is wonderful! Hope to learn some things from you! Now that I know "how to get here"...I shall become an avid follower.

Aunt Carol