Thursday, October 21, 2010

Quilt Blocks in McDowell County

One last look at McDowell County and two of the many quilt blocks which are displayed as part of the Quilt Trails of Western North Carolina.

Back in 2001, a woman named Donna Sue Groves decided to paint a wooden quilt block on an Ohio barn in honor of her mother. Now people in at least 24 states have organized efforts to decorate local barns and buildings with quilt blocks, both to celebrate local traditions and bring in tourists.

In the North Carolina mountains, six adjoining counties participate in the trail with more than 200 quilt blocks displayed on commercial buildings, homes, and barns and on main highways and back roads. Some of these blocks display traditional patterns and some are one-of-a-kind creations, telling a story about the owner.

I’ll go back this winter after the leaves have fallen from the trees and I can get better shots of these blocks.

On the Animal Hospital of Marion
You can read more about this quilt block here.





I took only two pictures that day and I can't find any information about this quilt block. 

4 comments:

frayedattheedge said...

How fabulous - I wonder if Malcolm would let me paint a quilt block on the side of the house!!

Karen said...

Anne: Maybe you guys could start a barn quilt trail there in the UK? I've Googled but can't find anything comparable over there. Gosh, you could be the innovator of a whole new trend.

Val said...

What a marvellous idea and such a good source of photographic inspiration.

Karen said...

Val: It certainly does give me tons of photo opportunities; 200+ barn quilts at this point with more planned. Along with the three volumes of historic North Carolina architecture which encompasses 5000+ buildings and odds and ends of things that interest me, well, it looks like I can blog for some time.