Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Concordia Lutheran Church. Conover, NC

On the way back from Lake Tahoma, I made a detour to Conover near Hickory to see the Concordia Lutheran Church. I had read this description in A Guide to Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina:

“Lutherans affiliated with the Tennessee Synod founded Concordia College here in 1877 (note from me: it closed in 1935 during the Great Depression) and a church of the same name. Concordia Lutheran Church (1957) is a dramatic statement of mid-20th century modernism by the influential Charlotte firm of A.G. Odell, Jr. and Associates and winner of an American Institute of Architects award. The broad copper roof envelopes the sanctuary and becomes taller as it narrows from the east entrance to the chancel at the west end.”

First, if this 53 year old church is included as historic architecture, then what does that make me as I’m two years older? Umm, maybe I don’t want an answer to that.

Secondly, here is a national award-winning building built in a tiny village in the foothills of North Carolina which was originally founded as a railroad depot and where most of the buildings are turn of the twentieth century vernacular design. The interesting things you can find if you just get off the interstate. . .





3 comments:

rachel said...

At first glance, I thought it was a fancy tin roof, until I scrolled down - what a wonderful design! I'd like to look inside now.....

dinahmow said...

Love that roof line! It probably has a good accoustic, too.
But "historic" already? AS to what it makes you, spare a thought for me!

Karen said...

Rachel: I would've loved to look inside, too, but everyone is so paranoid today that even churches are locked up.

Dinah: Yeah, every time I look in the mirror it's a shock. In my mind I'm still in my 30's . . .