Sunday, August 19, 2012

Storm Clouds, Greensboro, North Carolina


If you take a look at the US Drought Monitor, you'll see that North Carolina is one of the few states that, so far, has escaped the Great 2012 Drought. Out of 100 counties in the state, only two are experiencing abnormally dry conditions.

And this is one of the reasons we've avoided being one of the 43 states caught up in the drought. Nearly every week we've had storms, including one that dumped six inches of rain in two hours in my section of town.

This incoming storm was taken from the parking lot of First Baptist Church and was run through the Simply HDR app on my iPhone.

6 comments:

Dartford Warbler said...

A stunning photo. So long as the storms do no harm you must welcome the rain while so many other states are in drought.

Dartford Warbler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anyes said...

I guess you win both ways, stunning photographs and rain to boot. Stay safe when the storms come :-)

Karen said...

DW: The thunderstorms can be quite scary, but no harm so far unlike the storm that went through Washington, DC the end of June. We had a severe drought back in 1998 so I know how destructive it can be.

Anyes: Well, no tornadoes to be chased, but I'm always careful when there is a thunderstorm nearby.

Toffeeapple said...

A very dramatic sky.

Val said...

An impressive pic, Karen. I wish one could get the same clarity with a dslr; I'm so addicted to my i-phone and its various apps and enjoy posting to Instagram which I'm sure you've heard about. Quite a challenge to capture something eyecatching in a small square format.