Monday, August 20, 2012

Kim Rupert Rose



This summer hasn't been kind to my small garden. Despite the fact that we aren't in a drought according to NOAA (the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), it really has been feast or famine with the rain. We would go a couple of weeks without rain and then we would have fearsome deluges; one that gave my part of the city nearly six inches within two hours. And the heat! There was a long period in July when the heat indices were over 105F.

The antique roses in containers on the patio have suffered despite my ministrations, particularly with black spots. So, I did what I thought would be the kindest thing to put them out of their misery; I pruned them down to the ground.

And yet, they've come back and have started to bloom again (the black spot has come back, too, unfortunately). The rose above is Kim Rupert, named for a famous Californian rosarian (who also has his own blog about roses and how to create your own hybrids - Pushing the Rose Envelope). This is not one of his hybrids; this was created by Paul Barden and named for Kim. It is a small rose, not growing much larger than 1 1/2 feet tall which makes it great for containers.

6 comments:

Anyes said...

I love the contrasting pinks and red on its petals :-)

Dartford Warbler said...

Beautiful colours! You must be very pleased that this rose survived the strange weather this summer. We have just cut down two massive rambling roses (Paul`s Himalayan Musk) because their supporting pergola collapsed, so I hope they will come back invigorated next year.

frayedattheedge said...

What a beautiful rose! I love roses, but we only have one miniature, and two climbing roses in this garden.

Toffeeapple said...

That's a very striking rose Karen. I am pleased that it came back for you.
Thank you for the link too.

Cathy at PotterJotter said...

The rose pic is beautiful - have just planted one called 'Galway Bay' to grow round my door! Love that moon picture too - awesome. xCathy

Karen said...

Anyes: The contrasting colors are what drew me to it.

DW: It's why I bought antique roses; they are supposed to be hardier than the hybrid teas that you normally see.

Anne: Believe it or not, this is a miniature rose. All five rose bushes are in containers on the patio.

Toffeeapple: I'm glad it came back, too. And I hope the link was informative. It looked very time-consuming and beyond my skills.

Cathy: I'll have to check out Galway Bay (that makes me think of the Chieftains). Maybe a rose by my front door for next year.