Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Old Mill of Guilford County, Greensboro, NC


And a contrast to Kerr Mill down in Rowan County . . .

This is the Old Mill of Guilford County, the county that I live in. This is just ten miles from my house and is four years older than Kerr Mill. The Old Mill was built in 1819 by Joel Saunders. It grinds (as it is still a working mill) corn and wheat daily.

When the road that runs in front of the mill was built in 1932, the original wooden flume which provided water from the dam pond to the overshot at the water wheel was replaced by this 26" steel pipe (which from the look of it is the original pipe).

An interesting side fact - Guilford County was created out of Rowan County in 1771. However, due to the large population of Quakers in the area who were strict abolitionists, there were no huge plantations or large slave holdings as there were south of the area down around Salisbury.

6 comments:

dinahmow said...

Thunder coming in! Just time to say I'm loving these old mill posts...

Dartford Warbler said...

That mill is full of character and must have so many stories to tell. A lovely photo with the contrasting reds and whites. I can imagine this place being used as a film location.

frayedattheedge said...

As well as looking through my favourite blogs, I am also watching a tv programme about an old mill and waterwheel being restored!

This one is fantastic - lucky you to live so near to it!!

Anyes said...

The history in those old mills...

I'd love to come and visit you and see them :-)

Chantal said...

We are more a country for windmills and wear / grain mills

Karen said...

Di: I'm glad you do. I'm on the hunt for historic places to photograph now that its winter and the landscape is kind of yucky.

DW: It's been on magazine covers, but I don't know if anyone has ever filmed it for TV or a movie.

Anne: I'm glad you find it interesting. I found another working grist mill about 50 miles away that I'm going to go see and take snapshots of.

Anyes: Just the history of the area! I'm having fun finding these interesting places.

Chantal: Now that's something we don't have anywhere in this state - windmills. It would be a cool photo, though.