And another snow storm hit Greensboro Monday afternoon. While we didn't get the amount of snow that Charlotte got (six inches at last look), we did get a couple inches and then ice on top. So I'll stay home and watch the birds, squirrels and chipmunks through the sliding glass doors here in the dining room.
I put up a large suet feeder with suet cakes for the clinging birds and the little downy woodpeckers have been feeding there several times a day even as the weather turns bad. I guess they are like the postal workers - neither snow, nor rain, nor gloom of night shall keep them from their appointed rounds.
4 comments:
We've had lots of snow too. If I'm correct, this was white Christmas No. 8 in the last 100 years.
I do love woodpeckers. We see 'grote bonte spechten' here regularly, which is the larger black and white variety with a red belly. But this last Spring I've seen my first ever small woodpecker. The male ánd the female. Very special.
Keep warm ;-)
He must be grateful to find nourishment on your feeder, even if it under this type of weather. I am feeling the chill just looking at your photograph...Brrrr
We still haven't had a woodpecker on our feeders this winter .... so thanks for the photo!!
Carolina: Looks like this wild winter weather has affected everyone - you in Europe and us here in the States. The red-bellied woodpecker comes every day, too, but never uses the suet feeder.
Anyes: The small garden has turned into Grand Central Bird Feeding Station, but I like doing it.
Anne: Still a couple more months of winter to go, so keep an eye out. I'll bet they will show up sometime.
Post a Comment