Sunday, June 3, 2012

Friday's Thunderstorm


This past Friday, Greensboro was under a severe thunderstorm warning, a flash flood warning and, for a short period of time, a tornado watch.

Lake Brandt, down the road from me, is a great place to go and take snapshots of incoming storms (providing they are coming from the west and not the south). So down to the marina I went to get some photos before the storm broke.

I wasn't disappointed. The thunderheads rolled in, the winds picked up and when the thunder started I packed up my camera and went back home. It's not real smart to stand out on a pier when a thunderstorm comes in.

And it opened up and poured . . .  for 20 seconds. For all of the threats, the warning crawls on the TV, the threatening skies we got all of .2 inches of rain.

4 comments:

Toffeeapple said...

Better that than inundation. Good picture.

frayedattheedge said...

Amazing sky! I am glad we don't have weather like that over here!!

Diane AZ said...

Oh yes, that looks like a fantastic place for skywatching! About one more month until our summer monsoon season, my favorite time of year.

Karen said...

Toffeeapple: I don't know. We're on the edge of it turning into a drought here, so we can use all the rain we can get. Maybe if the UK had sent us half of the rain it is had so far this spring . . .

Anne: It does give me some amazing skies, but some nights I lay awake wondering if something untoward is going to happen.

Diane: Aren't you all something like 12 years into a drought there? Maybe if we ask Toffeeapple nicely, she'll send us some of that British rain.