Sunday, June 24, 2012

Futures Dawning


Back from a weekend spent up in the Blue Ridge Mountains with plenty of pictures to post for this week. But I had to post this snapshot first as I have never seen anything quite like it.

I have posted in the past of snapshots that I have taken of the many barn quilts here in North Carolina. First started in western North Carolina in Mitchell and Avery Counties, the idea then spread throughout the mountain counties as a way to draw tourists to their areas. McDowell County joined the Quilt Trail of Western North Carolina back in 2009 with 16 quilt blocks which has grown to more than 100 quilts today.

One of the rules of joining the McDowell County quilt trail is that your quilt block cannot be similar to the others. I think this quilt block follows that rule to a T. I don't even think there is another barn quilt in the US that is comparable.

They call this "Futures Dawning". I would have called it Bear and Bull, but whatever. The building is home to a Raymond James Financial Advisers office and I guess they hope it draws more business to them.

2 comments:

Toffeeapple said...

Well now, it is different...

Karen said...

Toffeeapple: Different and I don't think it qualifies as a barn quilt, but the McDowell Arts Council does and includes it on their barn quilt tour.

I think it would be more appropriately called a mural . . .