(Sorry for the long silence. Sick with a cold that I just couldn't shake).
Surprisingly, he didn't take off and in fact, flew to the fence while I kept taking photos and then on to the birdbath.
And I went off to the bird books to figure out what this bird was as I hadn't seen it before in the small garden. It is a Gray Catbird, a smaller cousin to the Northern Mockingbird who occasionally comes to my bird feeders. It tends to be quite shy and solitary which is why I hadn't seen it before.
There's a nest in the crepe myrtle next door, so I will probably have more visits from my new visitor.
5 comments:
did he sounds like a cat? I'm not being facetious, I've thought I've heard a sound like that (knew it wasn't a cat), but I've never been able to spot the bird.
BTW, I hate proving I'm not a robot. These are so hard for me to read.
SG: I didn't realize that the word verification was turned on. It's off now.
No, he didn't sound like a cat, but the reason it's called a catbird is due to a mewing call that they can produce. It was the song that went on forever that started the search.
How odd to be named after your greatest enemy. But it is a beautiful bird and how wonderful you have a nest. Exciting :-)
I saw a Gray Catbird eating a mulberry in my garden last week. I don't believe I've seen one before. Sure was a noisy little thing. I didn't know what it was until now. Thanks.
Carolina: As Scrappy Grams said, one of the calls is similar (or so they say) to a cat's meow. I haven't heard that and my cats haven't acted like they've heard an outside cat.
Billy: You're lucky to have seen one this year. I know people in the Piedmont Bird Club who have looked all spring and haven't seen one up close yet. I love the song.
Post a Comment