Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Spiegel Grove and an Earlier Presidential Election

While we're waiting for the results of the US Presidential election tonight and breathing a sigh of relief of no longer being inundated with political ads, here's a snapshot of the home of the president who was elected during an even more contentious contest than that of today - Rutherford B. Hayes. He lost the popular vote, but won the electoral vote (click on this for an article in Wikipedia which tells about the election of 1876 in greater detail).


I like to visit presidential homes if they are near to where I am and Fremont, Ohio, where Spiegel Grove, Hayes' home after his presidency, was only 25 miles from I was staying. So down the road I went to take a tour of the house.

It has been restored in loving detail, right down to hand-printed wallpaper reproduced from fragments found where it had been painted over. Unfortunately I wasn't permitted to take snapshots indoors, but you can go here to take a virtual tour.

Sometimes we forget that history can repeat itself. For those who thought that Al Gore was robbed of the 2000 election, I am sure that Samuel Tilden who actually won the 1876 election just to see it handed to  Rutherford by his Republican cronies felt the same way.

And the most gorgeous maple tree on the grounds.


5 comments:

Diane AZ said...

What a beautiful home, I love the front porch, and the maple tree looks stunning against the blue sky!

Toffeeapple said...

That is a beautiful house and tree. I can never understand the ins and outs of politics so I usually ignore it.

Cathy at PotterJotter said...

Wow - I may run for President if I get a home like that! I can see myself sitting on that huge front porch looking at my lovely maple tree! xCathy

Karen said...

Diane: It was a lovely house inside also, but that front porch was the best with the wonderful front lawn full of trees and fall flowers.

Toffeeapple: It is beautiful. Almost makes me want to move back to Ohio - almost except for the miserable winters.

Cathy - Spiegel Grove was built by Rutherford's bachelor uncle as a place to retire to after his presidential career. Wish I had such a family member.

Matt Bennett said...

Nice. I've been to Monticello, and that was quite an experience!