Monday, December 3, 2012

Woodpeckers in My Small Garden

The woodpeckers are back visiting the feeders in the small garden again this fall.

From smallest to largest, they are:


A female downy woodpecker (she has no red crescent on the back of her head like the male does). I could only catch her from the back as she climbed the redbud towards the feeder.



A female red-bellied woodpecker at the upside down suet feeder.



And the largest of the woodpeckers, a yellow-shafted Northern Flicker (this one is a male). Unlike my other two woodpeckers, Northern Flickers prefer to feed on the ground. This one stays in the large oak tree behind my house in our common area. I can hear him call when I'm out filling the feeders or cleaning the patio. He's probably like my chickadees; impatient for me to hurry up, do my thing and leave so he can eat.

4 comments:

geiger said...

Nice new banner!
Stylish chaps, aren't they?
For the past couple of weeks we've had quite a few lorikeets in the palms early in the morning. We usually only hear them from neighbouring gardens.

Toffeeapple said...

Until last week I had never heard of Northern Flickers but now, twice! The first time from a female blogger in Canada and now you in NC. Aren't they something special?!

frayedattheedge said...

Fabulous!! Sadly our woodpecker no longer visits thhe feeders.

Isabelle said...

Great photos.

(Would you like us to send some nasty wet snow? Just say the word... - re your comment.)