Saturday, October 27, 2012

In the Garden Waiting on Lunch


This is the time of year that I bring out all the bird feeders and set them up in the small garden now that all the migrants have come down from the boreal forests in Canada. In fact, while I was eating breakfast I watched titmice, bluebirds, goldfinches, Northern cardinals and house finches gathering at the feeders.

Later that day while I was getting ready to leave the house, I glanced out the sliding glass door to see this:


A juvenile Cooper's hawk who must have seen the gathering of birds, squirrels and chipmunks and thought "Lunch buffet!"


But they all managed to get out of harm's way. The hawk hung out on the back garden fence for a couple of minutes and then left for the woods. At least he stayed long enough for me to get some pictures of this handsome guy.

6 comments:

dinahmow said...

A Coop coup! (sorry!)
Lovely close shot of him.His talons are not a bit grimy and his bill looks unscratched.Definitely on one of his first jaunts.

rachel said...

Fabulous! Occasionally we see a buzzard (plentiful round here) but never so close up.

Toffeeapple said...

What a beautiful creature. I'd not heard of that particular hawk but it has similar middle toes to our Sparrow-hawks. What a privilege to see.

Karen said...

Di: It was only the second time in ten years that I've seen a hawk in the small garden. So, it definitely a coup.

Rachel: And I see more vultures - turkey and black - around here than I do hawks, so it was treat to have him visit.

Toffeeapple: This is one of our larger hawks. He's about 18 inches tall, so something that big in my small garden really catches the eye.

frayedattheedge said...

What a fabulous hawk - good to see you back - I've missed your posts!

Dartford Warbler said...

What a beautiful hawk to find in your garden!