Sunday, September 9, 2012

Along the Back Roads of Virginia


I thought that I would be able to get out and about this summer and take tons of snapshots and write about the things I saw in my travels.

But first the weather conspired against me with record temperatures above 105F with humidity to match. Even in an air conditioned car you'll still get the effect of the sun through the windows and you hardly want to get out into the stifling heat to get the best snapshot. Then my friend, TB, whose car we use (as she has air conditioning and mine gave up the ghost last summer) came down with an illness that put her out of action for more than six weeks.

So, I was left to my own devices, trying to take pictures of the birds in the garden, roses that were struggling back to life and thinking what I could take that was sort of interesting here in Greensboro. Which came down to not much - some interesting storm clouds while standing in a church parking lot.

And, yes, I would like some cheese with this whine.

But, TB is back and raring to go and off we went this Sunday on back roads up in Virginia to hunt down an 1830's Gothic Revival house on the National Register of Historic Places.

I bought a GPS and we decided to try it out to find this house (Actually the house is very easy to find; right off a well-traveled highway, but that is not a very interesting way to go).  This snapshot is taken along Deshazo Mill Road where both sides of the road was full of tall yellow flowers. I first thought, Goldenrod, but stopped and took a closer look.

 Verbesina alternifolia
Definitely not goldenrod. Did a little research on the Internet and found that this is a member of the Aster family and is called Yellow Ironweed or Wingstem. Along with Tickseed, a member of the Coreopsis family, we saw this for miles along the sides of the roads in Virginia.

3 comments:

Anyes said...

Still Summer where you are Karen and here, clouds have gathered and a soft rain has started to fall today...I could have had a bit more sun ;-)

Toffeeapple said...

Those flowers look 'otherworldly'
don't you think?

I'm glad that your friend is better now.

Karen said...

Anyes: We are going to have a wonderful week here; the first in a couple of months. Sunny, no rain and the highs in the mid-70's. The only downside is that I have to go to work!

Toffeeapple: Doing a little more digging around, I found that Yellow Ironweed is native to the Midwest and a small area going down the Appalachian mountains. I wouldn't have seen it back home just 50 miles south.

And my friend is glad to be up and running around with me to see these places.