Monday, May 7, 2012

Killdeer, Holden Beach, North Carolina

Can You See Him?


A Little Better Now?




Now you can see him. This is a little Killdeer, one of the smallest of the plovers who live at the coast, although sometimes they do come inland and have been found here in Piedmont North Carolina.

He was actually right at the edge of the driveway at the beach cottage when I came back. I had to wait for about five minutes for him to move along so I didn't end up driving over him (horrors!).

It's been a long, long time since I've seen a Killdeer. Gulls, yes. Brown pelicans, yes. And more grackles than I care to count.

3 comments:

Diane AZ said...

Adorable shots of the killdeer! My bird book says there are killdeer in AZ, but I've haven't seen any yet.

Anyes said...

I love this cute fellow Karen :-)

I do not think we have them over here...

Karen said...

Diane: I do know that killdeer have been seen here in Greensboro and we're a good couple hundred miles from the coast. But you have Gambrel quail which I think is an excellent substitute.

Anyes: I'm not sure if they are on the west coast of the continent. I'd have to check my bird book, but I bet you're right.