Monday, April 30, 2012

Blooms in the Garden

The garden is starting to bloom. Well, at least the roses are blooming on the patio

Gruss an Aachen
Clotilde Soupert
Kim Rupert
But I never got a chance to prune them first as they started blooming the end of March. Does anyone know if it would damage them if I pruned them now or should I just wait and try again next year?

The daylilies should bloom next. The Stella del Oros are full of buds as are some of my tagless ones that came from Indiana. Perhaps next week I can post picture of those and the Oriental lilies that I planted just for the heck of it.

3 comments:

Anyes said...

Rain, Rain and more rain is our weather menu lately. I have to admit I am a bit envious of both the light on your photographs and of your gorgeous roses.
Not being a gardener by any means I unable to answer your question Karen.
I am sure you will find your answer though :-)

Carolina said...

They are simply gorgeous! Don't prune them now, now they have buds. You'll lose all the beautiful flowers. Just keep taking the dead flowers away and perhaps prune back lengthy, weird growth and then try again next year. The only reason for pruning roses (as far as I know) is to keep them nicely short and bushy. I have roses in my front garden that I almost never prune (I keep forgetting) and they are covered in flowers each year. But if someone who really knows about this gives you different advice, I'd follow that :-)

Karen said...

Anyes: I took these at noon when the light was directly overhead. It's a wonder they turned out OK. We're looking at another long hot summer and probably a drought. Care to send the rain my way?

Carolina: I guess I'll just leave them be for now and see what happens. I have a miniature rose bush that is not too happy with the heat, however.