Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunset Sunday


I can't believe that nearly a whole week has gone by without a post. I put all the blame on the weather and the air quality here in Greensboro. It is difficult to work up any enthusiasm to go out to the parks or lakes or downtown or wherever when the heat index is over 105F and the ozone level so high that it creates an orange haze in the air. Saturday night brought some rain and along with it the promise of slightly cooler weather and clearer air.

I took this snapshot over at Price Park's Bird and Butterfly Meadow. No butterflies were seen, but I did get some dreadfully blurry pictures of a Hairy Woodpecker above its nesting hole in a half-dead pine tree. The flowers are gone by and the meadow is full of seed pods and dried grasses. It will be a great place to go back and take some more good snapshots.

I'm doing this with Anyes over at Far Away in the Sunshine as an ongoing series of sunset posts.

6 comments:

Anyes said...

I love the orange colours of your Sunset.
We finally had a bit of heat here for about two days and now it's back to cloudy and a bit cooler.
Karen, I am sending you cooler temperature, ;-)

Scott said...

Great colors and I love how you have the sun right behind the tree to give in a great silhouette. Nice work.

Dartford Warbler said...

A stunning sunset with interesting clouds.

It must be so hard for your local wildlife to survive in this summer`s extreme heat.

Karen said...

Anyes: I think we should have renamed it "Orange Sunset Sunday"!

Scott: Thank you for your kind words. Your photos are absolutely stunning.

DW: I wonder how much of the weird clouds comes from all this high ozone levels we've had. It makes me cough when I go out.

The little animals in my small garden (i.e., chipmunks) and birds are getting plenty of food and water from me. There is a small stream nearby so I assume they are OK. At high noon when it is hot, everything is perfectly still; you don't hear the birds at all.

frayedattheedge said...

Stunning colours!! I do hope you get your photography mojo back. I'm sitting here (8.30 am) looking out at a wet and grey morning - everything is dripping!!

Karen said...

Anne: It always cracks me up to see such early posts - 3:36 am my time - but I realize that it isn't quite so early for you there in Hawick.

If TS Emily continues on her path, we may have some really good rains this weekend. But that would put paid to the trip to photograph the barn quilts.