Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Squares and Stars


Back to the mountains again - doing the opposite of what ever other North Carolinian was doing for the holiday weekend. While they were stuck in a mass exodus to the beaches, TB and I went back to the mountains where there was hardly any traffic.

And while I hadn't printed out the Ashe County Barn Quilt trail, we saw this one as we left Jefferson going north on US 221. This does have a name; it is called Squares and Stars. It was also an easy snapshot as the barn faced onto an elementary school driveway.

4 comments:

frayedattheedge said...

As soon as I saw the photo, I started working out how to make the block! I so envy you having these wonderful barn quilts to visit!

Carolina said...

I can see the squares and stars. Lovely colours. These quilts do make beautiful decorations for the barns. Great idea.

Karen said...

Anne: I think the count for barn quilts in western North Carolina is now over 300. Plus there are several hundred in Tennessee, Georgia and Virgina combined (these are the states right next to NC). I doubt I'll ever get to a tenth of them.

Carolina: Is this strictly an American thing or do they have something similar there in the Netherlands?

Dartford Warbler said...

A bright and cheerful design for a barn so near to a school yard.

WWe tend to do the same as you on public holidays. While most of the population head for the coast, we go for a walk in the woods or drive inland!