Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Crepe Myrtle "Sioux"


The only thing that is doing well in my small garden is the crepe myrtle. This particular variety is called Sioux, a tall narrow variety which works well in the corner of the garden.

The roses are doing alright, not terrific, but they are watered on a daily basis. I've given up on the daylilies for the summer. Even though they've been watered regularly, they've mostly given up the ghost. Maybe next year.

Even the Forest Pansy redbud is suffering. Probably a tenth of the leaves have turned red and fallen off and some of the branches are completely bare.

Will the heat ever end? Will fall ever come?

4 comments:

Anyes said...

Here in Vancouver, BC the questions would be: Will there ever be any heat, when will Summer start?
It really all depend where we happen to live right? ;-)

Dartford Warbler said...

What a stunning plant. Such a rich colour!

What a pity that your new daylilies are not enjoying the heat. As you say, maybe next year, when they are more established.

Karen said...

Anyes: Did my aunt bring back the heat and sun with her Monday? Vancouver is my aunt and uncle's summer home as their home place is in Scottsdale, Arizona and they just can't take the summer heat anymore. She says they haven't really seen the sun since June.

DW: If I could only remember where I saw this brilliant purple crepe myrtle, I'd post a photo. I've never seen a crepe myrtle that color ever.

frayedattheedge said...

What a fabulous colour! We have had a pleasant hot day today, but there was an aurumnal nip in the air early on!